Discover how a $10M boost is revolutionizing cancer care in Southern Illinois. Impactful. Inspiring.
We’re Bruce and Karen Carlson. We recently moved to the Metro East area of Illinois. It’s a whole new world out there. Our goal with this website is to share our exploration of the Metro East area. As we find businesses and services we use in our daily lives, we’ll share how these businesses and services have helped make our lives better and easier to live.
We’re calling our move to the Metro East area retirement, but we’re not quite sure what that means. By sharing our story with you, we hope you too will gain a better sense of what the Metro East area has to offer and how their businesses and services can improve your lives and build a better community.
Hi, I’m Bruce Carlson, the news curator for eastofstlouis.com. I’m here to share some exciting news with you. Governor Pritzker has announced a $10M capital investment for the Southern Illinois Healthcare Cancer Institute. You can read the full press release here.
This is a big deal for our region. The grant will help build a new, state-of-the-art facility to provide comprehensive cancer care to patients in Southern Illinois. The new institute will also support cancer research and education, and create jobs for our community. This is a win-win situation for everyone.
I liked this article because it shows how the state is committed to improving the health and well-being of our people. It also highlights the amazing work that Southern Illinois Healthcare is doing to fight cancer and save lives. I think you will like this article too because it gives you hope and inspiration for the future. So, go ahead and check it out. And don’t forget to share it with your friends and family. Together, we can make a difference.
Governor Pritzker announces $10M capital investment for the SIH Cancer Institute
- The grant is part of the Rebuild Illinois plan to improve infrastructure statewide.
- The grant will help cover the cost of the recent expansion and modernization of the SIH Cancer Institute in Carterville, which provides comprehensive cancer care to patients in Southern Illinois.
- The expansion included an approximately 20,000-square-foot addition and upgrades to facility furniture, medical equipment, and both clinical and non-clinical areas.
The SIH Cancer Institute is a leader in cancer research and treatment
- The SIH Cancer Institute is a shining example of the commitment to the health and well-being of the people in the communities served by SIH.
- The SIH Cancer Institute offers multidisciplinary care, including medical oncology, radiation oncology, surgical oncology, pathology, radiology, and supportive services.
- The SIH Cancer Institute also supports cancer research and education, collaborating with national and international partners such as the National Cancer Institute and the Mayo Clinic.
- The SIH Cancer Institute has helped reduce the cancer mortality rates in Southern Illinois, which are historically higher than state and national averages.
The grant will also benefit the SIH Cancer Institute Café and the local economy
- The grant will also support the expansion of the SIH Cancer Institute Café, which serves 300 cancer patients with nutrient-appropriate meals daily as well as caregivers and employees.
- The expanded café will provide space for high nutrient-value meal preparation workshops and demonstrations, led by the SIH oncology dietitian.
- The grant will also create jobs for the local community, as the new facility will require more staff and contractors.
Key Learnings & Takeaways
This article is about a major investment in the health and future of Southern Illinois. Here are the two biggest takeaways from my point of view:
- The $10M grant from Rebuild Illinois will help the SIH Cancer Institute provide better care and outcomes for cancer patients in the region. This is important because cancer rates are higher than average in Southern Illinois, and people deserve access to quality, holistic care close to home.
- The grant will also support the local economy and community by creating jobs, expanding the SIH Cancer Institute Café, and fostering cancer research and education. This is important because it shows how the state and SIH are working together to improve the well-being and prosperity of the people in Southern Illinois.
Related Articles From Around The Internet
This article from The Southern Illinoisan reports on announcing the $10 million grant from the Rebuild Illinois plan to the SIH Cancer Institute. It includes quotes from Governor Pritzker, SIH President and CEO Rex Budde, and SIH Cancer Institute Director Dr. Philip A. Dy. It also provides some details on how the grant will be used to enhance the facility and the services offered by the SIH Cancer Institute.
This article from WSIL TV 3 features the SIH Cancer Institute as a leader in cancer care in Southern Illinois. It showcases the advanced technology, the multidisciplinary approach, and the patient-centered care that the SIH Cancer Institute provides. It also highlights the success stories of some cancer patients who have received treatment at the SIH Cancer Institute.
This article from The Southern Illinoisan focuses on the SIH Cancer Institute Café, which serves nutritious meals to cancer patients, caregivers, and employees. It describes the menu, the ingredients, and the benefits of the café, which is part of the SIH Cancer Institute’s holistic approach to cancer care. It also mentions the expansion plans for the café, which will include more space and more educational programs.
We hope you are enjoying these articles and are willing to continue to follow along as we share our adventures of learning about life in southern Illinois, This is an exciting area and we are so happy to be part of this area. Our lives are being fulfilled by the people we are meeting. Bruce & Karen.